Saturday, July 5, 2008

Hanna Park

One nice side effect of the great Jacksonville sprawl is that there are plenty of parks and nature reserves scattered throughout the expanse. And while they may not be as varied in terrain and ecology as what you may find out in the great wilderness of the west coast, there is often an abundance of fascinating fauna and flora that is sure to captivate and please any nature lover.

Ischnura ramburii female


Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park, or just Hanna Park, is located along the beach near Mayport and is one of the most accommodating parks in the region. With walking and biking trails, 1.5 miles of beach, campgrounds, a 60-acre freshwater lake, and many picnic areas, there's something in this 450-acre preserve to satisfy most people looking to spend a day outdoors.

dragonfly on reeds


I went along to meet up with some people from the Jax Field Trips Flickr group but, because the place is so big, I was unable to find them. However, I ran into a coworker with whom I went on a mini-photo expedition around the lake before prior engagements forced me to leave. I'd like to go back and explore more of the place but I can say for certain that nature lovers and photographers will definitely enjoy the lake area we explored. Just watch out for those fire ants... I'm still healing from that attack.

Park hours are from 8am to 8pm and admission is $1 per adult before 10am and $3 per car after that so plan accordingly.

red green yellow


Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park
500 Wonderwood Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32233
904-249-4700

No comments: