Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Copeland's

My co-workers go to Copeland's quite often for lunch and I faintly remember accompanying them there a year or so ago. The memory is not too strong as I wasn't all that impressed with the food nor atmosphere but a chicken sandwich from the lunch menu is hardly a sufficient basis for judgment. Multiple recommendations recently ignited my curiosity about the place and New Orleans cuisine so we decided to go for dinner over the weekend.

I try not to allow my negative experiences with restaurant staff to foul my thoughts about the food or the place in general but I must mention that our waiter was quite rude, condescending, and borderline belligerent. "Is that all you're having? You don't want anything else to eat?" We're small people, we can't pack away as much as the average bear. Other staff seemed pleasant enough so I'll just forget the passive aggressiveness of our waiter.

Cajun food has always intrigued me as I love many of the key ingredients: spices, seafood, beans, etc... but for some reason, I'm always disappointed with the resultant combination. Perhaps I'll need to make a trip to New Orleans for the real deal because my gumbo, while good, lacked the magical voodoo kick I've been led to expect from this cuisine. The big crab carcass, however, did make for an intriguing presentation. Despite my being unimpressed, the place was packed so they must be doing something right by the other patrons.

I don't have much more to say about this place except the dim lighting made photography nearly impossible so please excuse the awful snapshot of the gumbo.

gumbo


Copeland's
4310 Southside Blvd.
Jacksonville, Florida 32216
904-998-4414

Copeland's Famous New Orleans Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments: