Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Flavors

I love Indian cuisine and I've been assured by my wise Indian colleagues that Flavors is the best restaurant in Jacksonville to satisfy my curry lust.

A problem I have with many restaurants that provide some sort of Indian inspired fare is that they completely overdo the spices. I like a lot of spice and a high Scoville rating but there is a point when plenty becomes too much. Despite ordering my Chicken Tikka Masala (I'm white and of British descent, what else was I going to get on my first visit?) at the "spicy" level (even though the waiter only asked me if I wanted mild or medium, much to the amusement of my colleague who laughed and said out loud he was "being racist because I'm a white boy") the spices were well balanced and not overdone.

Sorry for the incredibly long run-on sentence.

I opted for the naan bread rather than the rice because I have a particular fondness for the stuff and it went great with the curry sauce. For an appetizer we had Chicken 65 who's multiple purported origins are as strange as its name. Regardless of the mystique, the dish was tasty and served as a nice prelude to the curried bliss that followed

chicken65


The menu at Flavors is quite extensive and seems to carry items from many regions of India, each with distinct elements to their cuisine. I must go back to try the seafood based meals, which are purported to be exceptionally good, and something made with goat because I've yet to sample chevon (the name for goat meat).

Flavors also has a grocery store in the same complex so be sure to stop by and purchase your own ingredients and prove to yourself that you don't know the first thing about cooking Indian cuisine.

Flavors
9550 Baymeadows Rd
Jacksonville, FL 32256
904-733-1525

Flavors Indian Cuisine on Urbanspoon

No comments: